North Dakota is a “no-fault” state for car accidents. This means that after a crash, you file a claim with your insurance provider no matter who is at fault. However, fault is still important and has a big impact on crash compensation. If your damages exceed policy limits or you have losses that are not covered by insurance, you need to know who is at fault and liable for the rest of your crash compensation.
In North Dakota, the “modified comparative fault” law is applied to car accident compensation. Fault is divided among those involved in the accident and compensation is reduced by an individual’s percentage contribution to the crash. For example, if someone is 10 percent at fault and has $100,000 in damages, their compensation would be reduced by 10 percent to $90,000. With a few exceptions, if a person is 50 percent or more at fault in a crash, they cannot file a car accident injury claim.
Collecting car accident compensation in North Dakota can be complicated if more than one person is at-fault. Most states will let you collect full damages from a single liable party. But in North Dakota, when there are multiple liable parties, an injured crash victim cannot collect full damages from a single involved party. Liability for your compensation is split in proportions equal to their percentage of fault. For example, you have three drivers in an accident – the victim and two negligent drivers. Fault is divided between the negligent drivers – one is 70 percent at fault and the other is 30 percent at fault. If the victim has $100,000 in damages, they would need to collect 70 percent of it ($70,000) from one driver and 30 percent of it ($30,000) from the other.