Several factors contribute to or lead to rideshare accidents. Some of the common causes include:
- Distracted driving: Rideshare drivers can become distracted by their phones, GPS, or other activities.
- Speeding: Speeding is a significant cause of crashes involving rideshare vehicles. Some rideshare drivers are in a hurry to pick up or drop off passengers, increasing the likelihood of a crash.
- Drowsy driving: Rideshare drivers often work long hours or irregular shifts. This can lead to driver fatigue, which impairs judgment and reaction time.
- Inadequate training: Some rideshare drivers may not receive sufficient training to handle various driving scenarios.
- Failure to follow traffic laws: Rideshare drivers can disregard traffic laws. This often involves running red lights, not yielding the right of way, or making illegal turns.
- Poor vehicle maintenance: Neglecting routine vehicle maintenance can lead to crashes caused by mechanical failures. This can include brake or steering failures, as well as tire blowouts.
- Impaired driving: Rideshare drivers are expected to adhere to strict alcohol and drug policies. But sometimes, they violate these policies, which results in impaired driving collisions.