Motorcycle accidents can result in various types of fractures, each varying in severity and impact on the body. The most common types include:
- Compound fractures: These occur when the broken bone pierces through the skin and poses a risk of infection.
- Comminuted fractures: This type involves the bone breaking into several pieces, often requiring surgical intervention to repair.
- Compression fractures: Common in the spine, these fractures occur when bones are crushed due to the impact of a motorcycle crash.
- Hairline fractures: These are small cracks in the bone that may be difficult to diagnose but cause significant discomfort.
- Greenstick fractures: These fractures are more common in children. They involve a partial break in the bone.
- Oblique fractures: These fractures are characterized by an angular break. They often occur in longer bones such as the femur.